A newly painted wall is always pleasing to the eyes. However, you might notice a few changes, especially if someone didn’t do the paint job right. If you’ve seen cracking, peeling, chalking, and bubbling, something might be wrong. Not knowing how to fix peeling paint and other problems can be frustrating, but we’re here to save you from water-based exterior paint problems and more!
Paint issues can occur inside and outside of your property. When this happens, you don’t have to hide under the covers. There are ways you can fix them.
Paint Flaking, Clumping, or Cracking
Like other paint problems, cracking may not be a big deal at first. It may only show at the first coat of paint. However, if not taken care of, a minuscule crack can become dry and flaky. Cracks happen if someone did not prepare the surface properly. Here are other reasons why paint cracks:
- Applying the paint too thinly.
- Putting too much paint thinner can cause your new paint job to split or crack.
- Putting too much force when applying the paint can also result in clumping of paint when it dries.
- Not allowing the paint to dry before applying the next coat.
- Paint can also crack due to age, humidity, and temperature.
If the area affected is big, repainting may be the only option. But if the portion with cracked paint is still manageable, you can do the following:
- Remove the flaky paint and sand the area to even out the edges.
- After that, clean it and put on a primer.
- Repaint all the affected spots while being careful of the amount of paint you apply.
If you’re wondering how to fix wall paint peeling and what causes it, here’s the answer! Almost every homeowner is scratching their head when the paint peels. Cracking or peeling commonly happens in moist areas, including the bathrooms, kitchens, and rooms with humidifiers. As long as there is moisture, peeling is inevitable.
You can also solve this problem by making sure that the room with moisture is well-ventilated. You can install exhaust fans, louvers, and wall fans. If the paint peeling is on the exterior of your home, the things you should do are: sanding the surface, cleaning it, putting a primer, and repainting it with your preferred color.
Spray Paint Problem
Even if your choice of paint is spray paint, you’re not safe from paint problems. There are common spray paint problems such as:
- Orange peel: This happens when the paint dries before it has left the container. Orange peeling can result in an uneven paint job. To avoid this, check if the spray paint is expired and the nozzles are working correctly.
- Paint runs and grainy paint finish: A coarse paint finish happens when you spray too far away from the surface you’re painting. You can fix this by sanding the surface and reapplying the paint. On the other hand, you risk paint running when you spray too close. Don’t attempt to wipe the runny paint. Let it dry and sand the parts with dripping paint. After that, apply the base and topcoat.
- Misting: You might notice misting or foggy portions on the surface you just painted. Misting can happen when the paint you used or the area you painted is cold. The best thing you can do is allow the site and the paint to reach room temperature before painting.
- Tiger stripes: Another common spray paint problem is tiger stripes. Tiger striping is when there are vertical or horizontal lines that appear after the paint dries. Not everyone is aware that you should cover almost half of it vertically and horizontally to ensure an even finish when using spray paint.
It is fun to do DIYs, but it can also be stressful when you don’t get the result you want. You don’t have to tire yourself out. Some companies offer a top-notch residential painting in Sarasota, FL, like Jeff Schultz Painting!
Our team can provide you with flawless paint jobs. Getting professionals to paint your property doesn’t have to be expensive. We have affordable rates that you’ll say yes to! We know how to fix paint chips and other paint problems! Contact us.